VISA procedure for students from "the third countries"

Concerns residence of students from outside the EU and EFTA in the Czech Republic.

Please make sure that you apply for the Long-term residence permit (application for Long stay visa also exists, but we highly recommend long-term residence).

Documents required to be attached to an application for the residence permit shall not be older than 180 days (except for your travel document) unless there is a shortened validity of such documents.

You must apply for the residence permit at the relevant Czech Embassy/Consulate in your home country. If you reside outside of your "Citizenship country" and hold a Residence permit of such country with the validity of at least one year, you can apply at the Czech Embassy/Consulate of such country, if there is any. However, there are some limitations – therefore, please contact the relevant Embassy/Consulate for details (especially if you come from a country (or reside in a country) where no Czech Embassy/Consulate exists).

Necessary documents

  1. The application forms are available at the Czech Embassies/Consulates or their websites. However, we suggest that you should visit the Embassy/Consulate in person and complete the form there with the help of their personnel.
  2. Health Insurance Certificate to cover a particular period of stay in the Czech Republic and the proof of payment. This Insurance Certificate can only be arranged with the VZP health insurance company in the Czech Republic.
  3. Funds to cover your stay - please contact the Czech Embassy/Consulate on the required amount.
    1. An internationally recognized credit card to certify that funds are available and can be withdrawn in the Czech Republic.
    2. A bank account statement in the student’s name confirming that he/she is free to use funds in the required amount.
  4. A travel document - the validity period of your passport must exceed the period of stay in the Czech Republic by at least 3 months.
  5. A document confirming the purpose of your stay in the Czech Republic - supplied by our Undergraduate Student Services - a document written in the Czech language entitled "DECISION OF ACCEPTANCE" (recommendation for Long-term residence permit).
  6. A document confirming the guaranteed accommodation - also supplied by our student's office - a document written in the Czech language headed "POTVRZENÍ".
  7. Photographs (3) - must show your current look.

System of the procedure

  • Your documents will be sent to the Czech Ministry of the Interior in the Czech Republic. The application will be processed here.
  • The entire procedure will take several weeks, and when completed, you will have to visit the Embassy/Consulate a second time with your passport to get the permit to come to the Czech Republic (it is not possible to pick it up in the Czech Republic, and no exceptions can be made).
  • The residence permit provided by the Embassy is just "provisional" and allows you to enter the Czech Republic and stay here for three days only. The "proper" residence permit (also including the specification of your place of stay in Hradec Králové) will be issued by the local foreign police authorities upon your arrival.

What must you do after your arrival in the Czech Republic?

Registration with the local foreign police

After your arrival to the Czech Republic, you MUST personally register with the local foreign police authorities in Hradec Králové within 3 working days!!! This is absolutely necessary.

Local Foreign Police office address
Ministerstvo vnitra ČR, Odbor azylové a migrační politiky
Regionální oddělení pobytu cizinců
Hradec Králové, Ulrichovo náměstí 810 (Map)

  • Directions:  take the bus No. 2 or 6, get off at the bus stop "Ulrichovo náměstí" (2nd stop from the bus stop "Magistrát města").
  • Working hours
    • Monday, Wednesday: 08.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m.
    • Tuesday, Thursday: 08.00 a.m. - 11.30 a.m

Necessary documents for the registration

  • Your passport.
  • "Hraniční průvodka" = crossing a border pass (a small white document for crossing the border) or an entry stamp in your passport.
  • One photograph (up-to-date bearing your current appearance according to the Czech regulations).
  •  The registration fee is paid by "kolek" (a kind of a fee stamp) in value of 2,500.- CZK (available at any post office)

After the visa extension, you obtain a Biometric data card, and you will obtain a new card with any other extension. In case you lose the Biometric data card, you will be charged with 4.000,- CZK.

Should you change some personal data, you will pay 1.000,- CZK.

You are advised to have someone speaking Czech with you (at least for this first visit). 

Please note that this initial residence permit is valid for one year, when applying for its extension, you may apply for two years.

VISA extension

An application for a long-term stay for the purpose of study (or extension) cannot be submitted as long as more than 120 days remain until the expiry of the current stay as proof of your valid VISA deadline Student MUST SCAN PASSPORT SHOWING VALIDITY OF VISA.

So, students can ask for confirmation sooner than in July with respect to the expiration of the VISA.

More info

Please see Important topics and Frequently asked questions about Master's Studies.

© 2023 Charles University, Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Králové | Website information